Transitioning Your Heat Pump
As cooler fall temperatures approach, you will need to transition your heat pump from being a cooling source to supplying heat. It is time to schedule maintenance before temperatures drop and you need the heating system to function properly.
Here are Some Things That You Can do at Home:
- Replace the air filter.
- Remove any growth from a two to three foot area around the outdoor section of your heat pump.
- Clean out the coils before cold weather makes this difficult.
- Check your thermostat settings and adjust for cold weather.
- Flush and clean the drain line. Remember to prime the trap, if necessary.
- If your unit uses electric heat, check all of the wiring for discoloration and heat damage.
Here are Some Things You Should Leave to the Pros:
- Have the refrigerant checked to ensure there is a safe level. Refrigerant levels need to remain consistent, even in the cold weather.
- Electrical connections will be inspected to check for exposed wiring or loose connections.
- Blower motor should be oiled. Blower wheels should be inspected for balance.
- A professional will check the energy efficiency of your unit. If any problems are present, they should be repaired before operating the heating system.
- Check and clean the evaporator coils.
Transitioning your heat pump to heat for fall and winter by performing the necessary maintenance tasks will minimize the risk of a breakdown, improve indoor air quality, and extend the life of your system components.
If you would like to schedule maintenance, please call us at 252-473-1995 or request service online. We provide service to Manteo, Kill Devil Hills, Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, and the surrounding NC communities.
Need HVAC Service?
Contact the experts!
Beach Air Heating & Cooling services Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, Manns Harbor, Manteo, Nags Head, Southern Shores, Wanchese, and the surrounding North Carolina communities with their heating and cooling needs. Visit our service area page for more coverage details, call us at 252-473-1995, or request service online today.